Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Last thoughts from Luna

I am absolutely certain that what I learned and experienced in the Dominican Republic will change how I live my life. Even today, the very first day back to school, I felt myself shifting my routine - and not just because I had to spend an hour unbraiding my hair. I went to Trader Joe's and spent about twenty or thirty minutes finding organic produce. As I carried the bag of fruits and veggies home, I thought about how to re-work my budget to include more money towards food and less towards materialism. During the trip, we learned a lot about environmentalism and also about how well people can do with less. I expect that shifting my life to fit those values will be difficult, but it is certainly not impossible.

I had trouble picking a favorite photo. There were photos of everyone working together, photos of everyone laughing, photos of the projects we completed, and photos of the people we met. I chose this photo because I feel like it represents the Dominican lifestyle: harmony with nature, few material things, and spectacular surroundings. I hope that our experience helped us understand this lifestyle and that our service helped others live it.

1 comment: